Thursday, March 9, 2017

Wind and Waves and Benches

It's been a while since I've done a post "sitting on my bench". You know, the time where you truly sit down and just listen to your heart and speak it. Today is one of those days. So I hope you'll grab a seat on the bench next to me and reflect along with me.

I began my online class this week on Monday night. I spent a few hours working through the lesson and taking notes, thinking through some of my frustrations with myself and reflecting on the scripture given to us.

In our class we receive a recorded daily inspiration pertaining to the lesson for that week, each day digging a little deeper into ourselves through scripture. 

I spent some time this afternoon catching up and revisiting the earlier recordings of the week. One of the biggest things that Emily points out is our own frustration with ourselves and our lack of confidence in our work as artists. Each daily inspiration touches on this in some way, and each inspiration ends with an uplifting thought and/or prayer to let go & let God. To not fight with ourselves, or compete with ourselves, to not doubt. But to know God made each us, individually, unique and simply put - me. There is no one else like me, no one that I should want to be like or better than, but instead, put aside my self doubt and frustration, quit sitting on my hands and open them up, letting God clearly see them and giving me what I need to get them moving.

Yesterday we experienced a clear blue sky and sunshine all day. We also experienced high winds, gusts of 60-80 mph at times. Strong enough to rip shingles off the roof of our school and damaging enough to knock out power and down trees. 

I had heard the forecast the night before and yesterday morning I double checked it and became absolutely giddy with excitement! I told Dream Boy that I wanted to head out to the lakeshore after school, with my camera gear in hand, and capture what nature was serving up on the Lake Michigan shoreline.

And I did just that, along with several other photographers and curious people.

I spent over 2 hours in the wind, listening to the surf pound the shore and watching the seagulls try to remain still on the ground. I paid attention to the ripples in the water on the beach that had crashed over the pier and puddled where there are usually long stretches of beach in the summer. 
I was so in tune to my surroundings, that I didn't notice anyone else out there but me. It was good. It was cleansing. It was healing. It was all of the above.

As I work through my photos in Lightroom tonite, I am reminded of the words I have been studying and reading about this week. To let go of my frustration and to listen to God. To pay attention to His voice, not that of others. 

So I went to my Bible to seek out more scripture and came across James 1:5-8 in The Message.
"If you don't know what you're doing, pray to the Father. he loves to help. You'll get His help, and won't be condescended to when you ask for it.  Ask boldly, believingly, without a second thought. People who "worry their prayers" are like wind whipped waves. Don't think you're going to get anything from the Master that way, adrift at sea, keeping all your options open."

I am amazed at how He speaks when I take the time to slow down and listen. 

And for today, I am thankful for His help.

Always.

1 comment:

Sarah Huizenga said...

You know you are in the zone when all else fades away. The lesson God has been teaching me is to trust him, and know that He has big plans for me to use my gifts and talents for His glory.