Sunday, March 5, 2017

Scene & Story - February 2017


Sometime back in January I received a private message via Facebook from a former colleague. She was our band director for many years before she was basically forced into retirement a few years back. She has taken on a new job in the field of music that is still allowing her to teach and inspire so many young minds.

I have always admired and respected the talent this woman has with her musical gifts. She has such a strong love for music and the students she taught. Her quiet demeanor can fool you, as when you get to know her, she has a sharp sense of humor and is quick with a comeback. 

Jan has been a member our local Concert Band for many, many years and is on the board. She is a part of their advertising, so when they began to discuss new ways to promote the Concert Band, she thought of me for photography needs. The band had an upcoming concert at the end of February and they were looking for some candid shots of their rehearsal times and of the concert itself. 

The program they were presenting was called Arabian Nights. All music with an Arabian flair. While there was a medley from Aladdin played, there were many other pieces with a flair of mideastern vibes. 

I was able, at the rehearsals, to climb around, get behind and sit in between rows of the musicians allowing me truly feel the music within my bones. Seriously, stand in the midst of the percussion session when they have a section of music to play that is predominately drums. You will feel it all the way from you toes to your nose, in every bone and muscle and nerve. It is a great experience.

The passion that the director shows and the music that is coming forth from each of these talented musicians is so powerful. Through each rehearsal I would hear bits and pieces and even full songs, but I was not prepared for what I heard the night of the performance.

The night soon came for the big performance and I arrived early so that I could stake claim on a center seat in the lower balcony. I needed to capture a photo of the full Concert Band prior to their performance.  The director came on stage 5 minutes before the scheduled start time and I was able to capture the required shot before he took to his podium.

For the next 2 hours I was taken to deserts, Arabian towns, with visions of sheer veils, gold trinkets and even camels. At one point I felt myself on a magic carpet ride with Aladdin & Jasmine. The music was so captivating and the performance was beyond amazing. 

The heart and soul each of these musicians put into that evenings performance was so evident. This is a group of people, from many walks of life, all different ages and lifestyles, yet they volunteer their time to share their talents.

As I continue to scroll through and edit these photos, the music comes back to me in my mind and I once again, find myself drifting off on that magic carpet.

**Scene & Story is a once a month link-up (First Sunday of every month) where we as a community of creatives can share a favorite photo and story from the previous month via our blogs or Flickr.  Be sure to head over to http://paisleyrainboots.blogspot.com/2017/03/scene-story-february-2017.html?spref=fb and read through th many other links on Scene & Story.**

12 comments:

Sandra said...

What a beautiful and memorable musical experience you had! One that inspired visions of Arabian towns, sheer veils and gold trinkets and many other wonders!

Sarah Huizenga said...

What a wonderful musical experience and I can almost hear the music as I read your story.

Carola Bartz said...

What an experience! I wish I could have been in the concert, it sounds so intriguing and I love Arabian music. I'm pretty sure I would have enjoyed this evening. Thank you for your inspiring words.

Tamar SB said...

How lovely!!

Rachel Weishaar said...

This sounds like a fantastic meeting of artistic and good-natured souls. I enjoyed reading this!

Carol said...

A magical night for everyone who shared the evening together.

Karen @ away for the weekend said...

It's amazing the many ways that music can transport you!

seabluelens said...

What a great Scene & Story! Orchestral music tends to sweep me up on my own magic carpet ride. I wish I could have been there for real, but I loved the sense of the rehearsal and the concert you conveyed through your words and photo.

Cathy H. said...

Sounds like you had a magical experience! Music can touch us in so many ways.

Michelle B said...

What a privilege to be able to walk through the music and take pictures. I could feel the drum's 'thunder' when you wrote about them. It sounds like a wonderful experience!

Adrienne said...

Such a great experience!

Jeanne said...

Thanks for sharing such a fun story